May 16, 2012

Rain

Philippians 4:13

New King James Version (NKJV)
13 I can do all things through Christ[a] who strengthens me.

When it rains it pours. So many times, we hear this phrase and truly understand the content. It's been raining in our house for a little while, but the rain really hasn't been as bad as I see others around me. I have a dear friend who I love more than myself who is dealing with a new cancer diagnosis. I am watching her struggle with this news and the uncertainty in which it has brought to her life. I know that each and every day she awakens to look in the mirror and wonder why this horrible disease has decided to pick her. Why her? I've already cried with her (unfortunately, not in person) and I've already prayed with her. 
I am watching her strengthen with each new appointment and watching her determination, which I already knew she had, finally start to come out in her words. I see her struggle, yes. But she's holding an umbrella of faith, love and hope that is keeping the rain from getting her bogged down and soaked in misery.
And whether she knows it or not, she's helping me. I am so focused on her and praying for her peace and her comfort and her doctors to say the right words, that I haven't had a lot of time to just sit around and think about my rain. I could be drowning and choosing to let the rain depress me, but it's not pouring at my house.
And it's not pouring at  your house either, no matter what you might think. My friend has cancer, and as much as it hurts me to say that, it's not pouring at her house. Rain is all around us if we open our eyes to see it, but the umbrella of Christ will hold it back and strengthen us more each day. It is all in our perspective.
Look around you and see the Son and make a choice to look past the rain.


Dear Heavenly Father,
It's raining in my house. It's raining in my friend's house, more friends than I probably know. But you are helping me and bringing the umbrella that will keep me dry despite how hard it rains. I see your love and I see the Son and I know that He will lift us all out of our personal storms and bring us the peace we need to show us the rain is exactly what we need. Bring it on, Father! We are ready to look for the promise you bring when that rain is over.
In Your Son's most highest name,      Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment