December 28, 2011

Someone has to tell them

I got so mad yesterday that I cried. I try for the most part to control my emotions and not let ignorance get the best of me, but sometimes I feel attacks are personal. Someone who doesn't know me from anyone made a statement on someone else's FB post and that started it all. I have also apologized to my friend who made the original post and has all of this ridiculousness on her wall now. I don't want her to think I was being negative towards her but rather the comments made.
The posting was an incredible insight into our society's need to remove religion from Christmas, especially within the school system who makes sure that Muslim students aren't left out (but leaving out Christians is fine... don't get me started there). I had posted my agreement sometime last week. A stranger got to me by posting the following (THERE IS A CURSE WORD IN IT FYI).. And yes, this is her direct quote.
"I'm more pissed no one can bring snacks for all the allergy fears" 
That is not misquoted or even taken out of context, I promise you that. I was a little frustrated by that and made sure to comment to express the severity of food allergies. As you all know, it is my passion and my purpose to educate as many as possible in this cause and to keep those children, like Owen, safe in the schools and in the real world.
I felt I handled that well, until another stranger posted something that made my blood boil...
"I have been an aid in many classrooms through the years and yes kids do have special needs and it has to be taken care of but the whole class should not have to do with out because one or two kids have allergies/religious beliefs. I have a blessed friend whose daughter is both diabetic and allergic to glutins ( I forget the name). She takes things in to class that she can eat for snacks. Also if someone really fears what might be brought in then have the child home schooled or they can leave the classroom. WHY does everyone think that all do with out because of one?"
So in my frustration I asked if she was implying that my child did not have a right to a public education because of his severe peanut allergy. She never did answer, but the original offender replied saying she was just joking. Seriously?? Joking? Whatever, I ultimately chose to tell her it did not seem to be a joke with her strong use of language. Her last comment though, insured there would be a blog posting. hee hee. The original commenter who is mad that she cannot take snacks said the following,
"The ironic thing in this thread is that it's about the majority "rolling over" and yet you have highjacked it for yourself without any foreknowledge of others approach when posting. It's rude. Let's agree to let you have the last word here since you turned it into an allergy agenda. Is that strong use of language enough?"
Taking everything I have not to post back something and be the bigger person here. I would love to say so many things to her and about her, but I honestly do not know her. I don't know what makes her so close minded, but this is something that we deal with all the time! It's no real surprise in the long run, but when someone asks me why I get so angry and defensive about Owen's food allergies, I cannot help but point out specific examples like this. These are people who NEED to understand. These are the people who NEED to be educated. And someone has to tell them, even if that means creating my own agenda (which was never mine in the first place) and hijacking someone else's thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment