January 23, 2012

Peanut Free No Bake Cookies

I remember growing up and having a favorite cookie. The one cookie that would make the world seem right, even if it felt as if the world were coming to an end. Our family no bake cookies would always bring a smile. I would make them for my Alec when he was little. We found our family favorite continued with him. Unfortunately, with Owen's peanut allergy diagnosis, life changes included the removal of family favorites from our cooking/baking routines. That included the beloved no bakes. I hadn't been brave enough to try the recipe with changes until a few weeks ago, and much to my surprise and joy, I found they were a huge hit and definite family favorite. I share with you our slight change that allows them to be peanut free. Please note that all ingredients used are ones that have been checked prior to purchase to not only be peanut free, but also to not be manufactured on shared equipment as those are both big no-nos in our peanut allergy home. We hope they bring a smile to you as they do to us.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk (you can substitute soy milk if you have a dairy allergy as well)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups oats
3 tbsp. butter (again, substitute this with your favorite non-dairy margarine)
3 tbsp. soy nut butter (we prefer I.M. Healthy Soy Nut Butter made with Honey)
2 or 3 tbsp. Cocoa (check with this closely as there are a lot of products out there that used shared equipment for this particular item).

Instructions:
Mix sugar, vanilla, butter and milk in pan. Heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat and add cocoa. Stir until blended (make sure to get all the chunks out as cocoa is not good in powder ;-) Add Soy Nut Butter and 2 cups of oats. Stir until blended. Add other cup of oats and stir. Drop with a teaspoon onto wax paper. Let sit until they reach the desired firmness.

This post was shared at Allergy-Free Wednesdays.

9 comments:

  1. This is great! I pinned it on my pin board in Pinterest so that I can make it later! ~
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Let me know how you like them. Thanks for visiting, be sure to check us out on Mondays for our recipe days.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing at Allergy Free Wednesdays! So overwhelming to have an allergy when you first discover it, good for you for being creative and making it work for your family! We love no bake cookies too, I made up a recipe to try and make it healthier and free of all out allergens, check it out!
    http://tessadomesticdiva.blogspot.com/2011/04/after-school-no-bake-cookie-snack.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting us. We have dealt with peanut/tree nut allergies for about 6 years now. It seems old hat, but it changes so frequently. I will be sure to check out your recipe as well. Always looking for good recipes. Check back with us on Mondays as that is our recipe sharing day :-)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this at Allergy-Free Wednesdays! I've seen several allergy-friendly no bake cookie recipes lately. Perhaps they're calling out for me to make them :) If you haven't done so, don't forget to link back to AFW. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michelle. I love seeing the recipes and the new additions to The Willing Cook. You are so great! I have included a link on my page for everyone to hop over. I don't envy you going through looking at them all. I'm taking my time on it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love no bake cookies! Thanks for reminding me to make some. Thanks for sharing at allergy-free wednesdays. I hope you come back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the invite Lisa. I would love that. I am still learning how to do things around here, so I will figure out how to link up to you :-)

    ReplyDelete