March 6, 2012

Issue 8

I know some of you have already voted and some of you have already decided how you are going to vote. In our area, we are looking at Issue 8 for school improvements. Many are probably thinking I am insane to even take on and comment about this political issue, but I believe there are some things that need to be said and if you haven't looked at the name of the blog then you might want to do that before calling me crazy (since I already admit that I am).
First of all, those of you who think that this is an issue simply because the school district is money hungry and don't know how to handle its money, you really need to look once more at the bond issue and see what it is all about. Also, if you think that households that have children are all that need to be taxed, let me remind you that someone paid for your education somewhere down the line and therefore if you want your social security check, you need to help pay for my children(s) educations. Also, others who think cutting teachers or teacher salaries should take a look at a teacher's job first and foremost and realize that about half of what is in his/her room was purchased by that teacher, not the taxpayers. And when thinking about that also realize that if you put large number of individuals out of a job you are definitely not working to stimulate your own economy.
Somewhere down the road, we all became idiots. I have to admit, I'm one. I have been known to say that this area doesn't need this money and what is this company or this government branch really doing for me. Here is when I have to take a step back and say, let's let the issue speak for itself.
Below is some information on this school issue that I hope sheds light for those who are still on the fence or those who just have their eyes closed to reality....

*The district and community will become partners with the Ohio School Facilities Commission to replace 13 aging elementary school buildings, provide minor renovations for the two other elementary buildings and replace Franklin Heights High School, which is the oldest high school in the district.
*There will be NO INCREASE to our annual taxes. Some are thinking they want to lower the taxes a
and prevent them from staying the same, but passage of this issue will not make a difference in your taxes, but it will make a difference in your community!
*It is estimated that the replacement schools will eliminate $40 million in deferred maintenance and provide the most up-to-date buildings for our students. This will SAVE the district, and you, as taxpayers, money in the long run.
*With community support, the state of Ohio will provide money to the district to do this. Not just money, but MORE THAN $120 million to go toward the project. Seriously!! That is incredible.
*No money from this issue will go towards salaries or other operating costs. We are looking at construction only.
*While some maintenance has been done on the buildings, the district is running more than one and the extra money for some changes just isn't there.
*Many of these school buildings are beyond old. We are talking buildings built in the 1960s. Have you done any major repairs to your home? Have you looked at what kinds of things need done to a home built in the 1960s? How about a school building?

So, those are just some of the highlights. Let me tell you about one building that is clearly close to my heart. JC Sommer Elementary. My boys are there right now. I just voted there actually. On hot summer days my children go to a non-air conditioned building to which I would  normally just say suck it up and deal with it cause my school didn't have air conditioning and I turned out okay. Here is the problem. The electrical system. If you look in my house, it is a nightmare at how old the wiring is. My sweet hubby and I even talked of upgrading our wiring and realized the cost would be quite a lot to run new wires through the entire house. Guess what, that building has the exact same wiring.
That wiring has to take quite a bit of a hit on a daily basis to run everything that is in the building, and have you ever had an outlet that you had to not only not use but unplug something to use another appliance (like I have a friend who cannot turn on her hair dryer in the bathroom when someone is using the microwave in the kitchen). JC is like that. We have teachers trying to run fans during the hot days but there are issues there. The fire department was out last year because of sparks that came from the outlet. Were they able to do much with it? Nope, and it happens all the time.
Computers? Well forget that! There isn't enough electricity for any kind of upgrade for that school. It reminds me of an old nautical boat where the first mate says, "She's giving it all she got, Capt'n." That's just it. The building has given all it has, and our children are the ones left to suffer the consequences. I would love for my children to have access to a computer, but they just can't have it right now. Our children are going to be passed up for jobs because of this one day!! There are children in our district who aren't blessed enough to have computers at home to use. Those children don't have the advantages that some of us can provide to our kids. And without computers in the school, there is no positive outlook in our world of booming technology.

So when you go vote today, put your checkbook aside. Stop thinking of how to spend that "tax refund."  Think of the matching money provided by the state to allow for a better location, a better atmosphere for the children that will be coming through these buildings in years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment