March 27, 2009

Wasted Opportunity

It is so rare to get a glimpse of God's beauty and recognize what it truly is. Today, I grudgingly got out of the van and got Sofia and Owen out and trudged up to Alec's school rather than sitting in the parking lot a little ways from the school to watch him. What drew me out into the cold damp air? FOG. It was so thick you couldn't see the school from the parking lot (which really isn't far away at all). I do not trust others and did not wish for my 7 year old to walk alone through that fog next to the road. So, up we go to the school to see him in the door. On our way back to the van, Sofia was insisting that uncovering her head should be a new Olympic sport and Owen decided he should race Mommy back to the van through the field that is between the school and the parking lot. I wasn't in the mood for all of it, but as we got to the edge of the fencing, I glanced over at the Head Start building to see a break in the fog. The only clear thing was the flag and it was absolutely gorgeous. I was so sad not to have had my camera for that picture, but I snapped away in my mind. I snapped that picture and brought myself out of my own fog.
It has me thinking about how lucky we are. We live in a country that is free. We live in a country that, while we have our shortcomings, we are able to worship without interference. We live in a country in which we can say negative things about our leaders and not feel as if we are putting our lives or the lives of our loved ones in jeopardy. And while I do not agree with being at war at this time, I support those who are over there fighting for us and keeping us free to worship and love and speak openly. Today, God reminded me that no matter how thick the fog, there is always a break through to keep those important things clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment