June 3, 2010

I never felt like this before

My 2nd grader has his last day of school today which normally comes with excitement. This did not come the same way this year and really threw me for a loop. Just before bed last night, he came and asked to talk to me in private. He said he didn't want to leave 2nd grade or his teacher. I knew there was a connection between the two of them, but I just didn't realize how strong he was feeling.
"I never felt like this before," he said. My heart broke as I watched my 8 year old struggle with the pain of knowing he is growing up.... A pain I feel daily as I watch him mature and become a little man. I watched him crying over a loss of another year of school, another group of friends, a teacher who has become an ally. I held him as he cried it out and reassured him as best as a Momma can do all the while knowing the truth is that once it is all said and done, it will be forgotten like any other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment