January 27, 2011

Talking

Well, the resolutions did just what I predicted. hee hee. But I promise to come up with a better February theme (I hope) for any of you out there who like to visit and read.
Today, I'm thinking of my sweet monkey pants. My daughter isn't much of a talker. Shock of all shocks since the middlest doesn't stop talking. (seriously, he even talks in his sleep). So many days I wonder what she is wanting or thinking. At her last pediatrician appointment, Doc said to stop talking for her. That we are probably doing that and she's getting lazy. We did that... only to find she wanted to learn more sign language. I thought that would be awesome. Alec uses sign language and has since he was 7 or 8 months old. How bad could it be? Oh my, I should have thought twice about it. Now she wants to know the sign for everything and while her language is expanding, she's still refusing to talk. Even more so now.
So, funny of all funnies, she gets into the dishes pantry where she knows not to be. But she's two. I let her carefully pile up the dishes and when she throws a coffee cup across the floor and into one of the "bowl plates" screaming, I am not too thrilled. No, it didn't break. I started to let it go, but she continues screaming and can't seem to tell me what's going on. Then she starts signing spider to me. Apparently, we need to use those coffee cups more often or actually dust in there. She was frantic about a spider (which is white- haven't seen one of those before) which was located and killed. When I had verified the path of death and destruction to her, she signed Thank you to me. Here is an example. Could she have said spider? yes. I KNOW she knows that word, but she didn't. Could she have told me thank you, yes. I KNOW she knows those words. She's choosing not to.
Another poignant moment came shortly afterward when she brought me another sugar stick (airhead) and set it on the sofa. She signed, more please as she had had one earlier in the morning (yeah, let's not question that parenting decision). Then held it up. I refused until she used her words. She signed again. Again, I said no, not until you use your words. She signed one more time and ROLLED HER EYES AT ME. I said, I understand what you are saying to me young lady, but you HAVE to use your words or I will not do it. She actually stomped away and said, "I DO IT." hee hee. I laugh at that only because she used her words for that one. ;-) After struggling to open it for about 10 minutes, she walked over to me and signed as she spoke. She said, Please open. I said, good girl. Momma likes it when you use your words. Great moment when she replied thank you and signed it as well.
There are so many days that words can't describe what we want and our vocabulary doesn't have those words even if we did want to describe it. I think of that like my sweet little girl. She doesn't have all the words yet, but she's learning. We don't have the words yet, but we're learning. We have to try to be patient and keep trusting that we are doing the best we can and that eventually we will get there :-)
One small step for my sweet 2 year old today, one giant leap in the Lunsford house. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment