February 6, 2011

Looking Around

Today my blog post found me at church. Yes, I meant that exactly how I typed it. Someone struck me today (not physically, but mentally) and I can't help but think. What a great blessing to be able to do that: to think.
As we stood praising and worshiping with great songs that took me back to singing at the Senior Center with Red Motter (my older friends know who Red was) and an awesome worship team, someone walked in late. To be honest, I don't know him or his parents well. I sit on the same side as them and always say hello, but to go beyond that, we haven't had a conversation with them. He comes in with his wife oftentimes, but I noted he looked a bit disheveled as he came in late to join his parents. Alone. His parents shared some sort of look that said something, but not knowing them or the situation I couldn't tell what it was about, nor was I really interested.
What I could tell was that he seemed a bit off. I've seen him sharply dressed and smiling- a handsome young man. But today, he wore workout pants and a sweatshirt. He looked out of breath as he came in and stood. And despite the fact that I have seen him sing rather passionately during our time of worship and praise, he just stood there with his coat still on. I couldn't help but be distracted as I looked at the back/side of this person and thought, what has he been through this week? Then I started looking around (Ron would not have been happy to note that I continued this during the sermon when I most definitely needed to be listening, but my ADD had kicked in). I looked across the room at the beautiful teenager that I know and adore as she listened (yeah even she was listening - bad Kim. hee hee). I saw her glance at her mother with a smile and thought, what kind of week did she have? I looked up at one of my favorite elder of the church (I won't name names because I adore him too much to make others jealous that I like him the best. ;-) I saw the passion for Jesus and wondered what kind of week did he have?
How often do we go to church and have something else on our mind. Or something in our heart that we just can't let go to worship and allow Jesus to work his wonders. Then I looked down at my sweet Owen and thought about his week. I've been there for that, but how much do I really know. Do I really know what kind of week he had? Am I in tune in my own life to even know what kind of week I had?
Then I came back in tune and paid attention to hear Ron talking about being beggars for the Lord and I felt myself wondering about the kind of week that beggar he was talking about had before running into Peter and John. It wasn't literal. The beggar was lame. He was sitting in front of the church at the right time and the right place with the right question and the right attitude (YEAH, I was listening a little). He was asking for money, but he was asking for so much more.
How often do we go into church and we are begging for someone to pay attention and just notice that we are having an off day, whether we say it or not? And while they don't always do it, sometimes just a smile will make the difference for us. I hope my smile helped.....someone. I hoped my kind words helped....someone. I hope my quick hug helped....someone.
As we go through this next week. I challenge you to first of all read Acts 3, but also to think about the beggar and your own walk with Christ. May He give you strength to stand on your own, no matter what challenges you face this week. And when you are standing there, look around. He's not only right beside you, but He might be working to help someone else stand on weak legs. Just reach out your hands and help....someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment