February 7, 2011

Goodbye is never permanent

Friendship. It comes and goes and sometimes it goes without any realization. You make friends and life goes on. Before you realize it, you aren't really friends with them. One thing or another happens, you grow apart. You become different people and suddenly have nothing in common. Years go by and you find them on Facebook. You friend each other and while it's nice to catch up and see what life is like for them, it's not the friendship you had before.
I don't have many friends that I would consider close friends. I treasure each friend I have, but someone who I know I can go to and cry no matter what the situation, only two stick out. My sweet, adorable and loving husband who has been there through some tough times and loves me despite my flaws. My super bestest friend who has been there since we were little. She's the one that you call because you know she's the ONLY one that will truly understand. No matter how many years go between seeing each other or how many months between calls or emails, you know she will be there without judgment, with open arms and a wonderful listening shoulder to cry on.
Then God puts someone in your life that gives you hope for a close friend (cause we all know that girls long for that close relationship- that someone they can go to just because they need to talk about their significant other's gas or the way the dog is chewing on everything or just to talk about the difference between your toilets and the ones from her country ;-) I have a friend like that. My sweet Angelah. I have never met a woman like her... so strong and so loving. She has the biggest heart and the brightest soul. We can talk for hours and not even realize where the time has gone. And my children... oh, little Owen thinks she's his girlfriend and Alec loves to hear her stories. My little Fifi just thinks she hangs the moon.
We became friends out of proximity. You see, she's my neighbor's (One of the best neighbors a girl could ever ask for) girlfriend. But it is complicated. Her home is in India. Yeah, I'm talking the country all that ways away. God put Nick and Angelah together because He has a purpose. But God is also testing their relationship as well as others she has made because she can't stay in the United States but for a period of time and it's not just as simple as getting married and getting a Green card. As I said, it's complicated, but they are doing it the right way ;-)
So, for the second time in the past year, we have to say goodbye to our dear friend who has to go "home." I know I am bound to cry this week when I have to say goodbye because I am just that kind of sappy dope, but I do pray for strength as I know that goodbyes are always harder when you wear your heart on your sleeve. Tearing ourselves away from the people who mean a lot to us is one of the most painful things in life.
But as I think about saying goodbye, I hope that my dear friend knows how much she touched my heart and how much of an impact she has made on the lives of my entire family and holds dear to that as she awaits the day she can return (hopefully for good).
My favorite author, Maya Angelou, once said, "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

I pray that holds true for my friend :-) We will miss you, but we know you will be home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment