February 16, 2012

Brown or White

Hi, My name is Kim and I'm all about the color.

Have I lost my mind you ask? No, I love brown!!!  And I'm not talking about UPS. Brown eggs. That glorious outer shell of the egg that tells me it has a delicious and delectable egg that I want to eat inside. There is something about a brown egg that just tastes better.

But when preparing for this post, I came upon a shocking revelation! Brown eggs are no different than white eggs. GASP!

Where on earth, Kim, you ask. Seriously, I was just as surprised. I hope you were sitting when you read it yourself. I was in such shock, but it was an expert in the field.  Amy Batal, PhD, assistant professor of poultry nutrition at the University of Georgia is the one who has declared that fact. When I read it, I just stared at her picture on the page as my bottom lip hit the floor. Batal said the only difference between the eggs are the breed of the hen. WHAT????? All these years.... So Long, I have loved  the brown only to find out there is no reason for it? Sigh.

According to Batal, "Breeds with white earlobes lay white eggs, while breeds with red earlobes lay brown eggs."

Again, shocked! I couldn't believe her, so I went to the experts at Eggland's Best. Imagine how appalled I was to find out she was telling the truth!!! NO JOKE! The TRUTH. And the quote from them, "Shell color has little relationship to egg quality, flavor, nutritive value, cooking characteristics or shell strength" My hopes at redemption were crushed. My thoughts all along have been wrong. There is no difference other than the color.

Unlike my American counterparts, I prefer the brown despite the fact that freshness in an egg is the most important factor. Despite the fact that I cannot justify my preference, it's still that.... a preference. I will not allow the experts to sway me, instead I will continue to enjoy my brown eggs and wish I wasn't any wiser. :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment