February 13, 2012

How to Boil Water (without burning it)

When Wade and I got married I was worried. I wasn't worried about being married or getting used to living with another person or any of those things you would consider "normal." I was worried that I would kill the man with my cooking. I would seriously have nightmares over it.
Then, it happened. No, I didn't give him food poisoning. I burnt the water that I had on to boil for the hot dogs. How do you mess up water you ask? Well, you just do. Take it from me and don't laugh. ;-)
So in an effort to save you from messing up what seems like an easy task, I have dedicated my Mealtime Monday to  the art of boiling water. This post is meant to be informative for the beginning cook as well as a more seasoned cook (pun intended).
  • As tempted as you might be to use warm or hot water from the tap to get it to boil faster, don't! This water is sitting in your pipes or hot water heater. It is getting stale. You wouldn't drink flat soda, so don't cook with stale water. It's better to cook with and drink cold water.
  • Water bubbles. Did you know those small bubbles at the bottom or sides of the pot are not actually boiling water? They are air bubbles that are already in the water. They don't mean it is getting ready to boil. Wait for those bubbles to go to the top of the pot.
  • When water starts boiling, it stays the same temperature for the entire time it is boiling. Remember your science lessons (I really did learn something from my high school science teachers). Water boils at 100°C or 212° F. Don't worry, you don't need a thermometer for this because it's all in the bubbles. They will let you know when it is boiling. I am starting to feel a little bit like Alton Brown. hee hee.
  • Make sure you use a pot that is large enough to hold the amount of water you want to boil as well as any food you are putting in for cooking. And check to ensure you have a lid that fits should you need to use that.
  • The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is do not ever ever ever let your pot boil dry, you will not only ruin the pot but will also possibly catch something on fire. Take it from someone who has been there. 

It's not rocket science, but there is science involved. Be sure to select the right pot and the right lid, but the rest is just basic attention to what you are doing. Make sure you you slow down and pay attention to what you have to do with your recipe. If you don't read it in advance, you could make a mistake that is monumental, like burning the water. :-)
Enjoy, my friends!





1 comment:

  1. God Bless you Kim........I found this on yr popular posts........hahaha can't believe you dedicated a post on how to boil water.......I am so laughing.....you so don't want Asians reading this post......A'lah.

    ReplyDelete