January 11, 2016

Shopping Shenanigans

I hate going to the grocery store. 
Well, let's be honest, I hate shopping in any capacity. I don't get the rush. I don't get the joy. As a matter of fact, I feel quite frustrated at the idea of even having to walk into a store. I have been like that for as long as I can remember. I don't like spending money, and I don't like being around people who are grouchy because they too are stuck doing something they hate. Plus two lines? Are you kidding me!! Open a new one and for heaven sake throw out the bad fruit and stop trying to give me samples of food I don't want. I will come up to you if I want it, or send my kids when they need out of my hair. 
Image result for i don't want to go
So yesterday, when I realized Old Mother Hubbard might have more food than us, I begrudgingly made the dreaded list and gathered the coupons and looked at the ads and planned the meals and headed out in the stupid cold weather. As I got to the store, I had to park what seemed like a mile away, had a rough walk to the store, and couldn't seem to find a cart that wouldn't squeak. I started to get super grouchy and stopped myself. I decided to think about what a godly woman would do in a situation she didn't want to face. I started thinking about Martha and how hard working she was, diligent in her preparations even after her guests had arrived. Still busy working despite the presence of The Lord.
As I selected the apples, I wondered what she would think about my whining (in my head at the time). I realized she was a whiner too, just like me. Martha whined to Jesus, himself, about her sister, Mary, who just didn't seem to care and help out with the work to be done. Then, I giggled aloud (this is when the produce guy looked at me a little funny)Image result for what did you say because I remembered what Jesus said, "Martha, Martha you worry and fuss about a lot of stuff." (Or something close to that, I'm not a Bible scholar here people!)  I seriously felt like He was talking to me. 
So I decided not to worry and just do what was necessary and consider my blessings. In the middle of that stupid grocery store, what did I have to be blessed for?

  • I have a place to go where food is available. 
  • I can afford that food (well, some of the time). 
  • I found a parking spot (despite it's distance from the door) - don't judge me, I'm a work in progress. 
  • I didn't break my neck on that black ice I slid on in the parking lot. 
  • I can, apparently, do a decent split. Image result for split fails
  • I gave a group of teenagers a really good laugh that they might have needed. 
  • I accomplished my chore and made it home safely to my bigger blessing - my family. 
  • And by golly! The best blessing of all! I have an awesome God willing to remind me that I need not worry about a lot of stuff because He's got all that. 
Image result for jesus got your backDefinitely found a light moment for the grocery trip that could have been a disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment