November 4, 2010

D

Disturbances.... I am thankful for the disturbances in life, especially the little ones that make us pause in our daily routine. My Nanny's health is not as good as it used to be. She stumbles and falls and has been found on her apartment floor more often than not lately. To answer the problem, her doctor has put her in the hospital and then plans to put her into a nursing home. As we were going to run a quick errand before nap and then the dentist yesterday, I decided to talk to my boys about it. When I said that she would be going to a nursing home, my 9 year old, yelled passionately NO! I was taken aback at his reaction and it caused me to pause in this crazy routine. I was at my errand and I turned in my seat and asked him why he said no. He looked at me with those big beautiful baby blue eyes and said, "Mom, most people die when they go in a nursing home." He didn't have to say anything else. His eyes showed the pain and the memories of losing his other great-grandmother. I got out of the van and went to him to hold him. I told him that I love him and that if God chooses to take Nanny, then it is her time. We will be sad, but we understand that God blesses us with each day He allows us on this Earth. As I held him, my mind didn't think about the fine timeline I was on. It didn't even go to the fact that I was standing in the middle of a parking lot holding my child. All I could think was how thankful God gave me the ability to take pause in my life and console my child when so many other parents either don't have the time or don't bother to take it. Praise be to God for disturbances that we often see when we have children.

No comments:

Post a Comment