March 24, 2011

For the Love of Flowers

When I moved into this house almost 6 years ago, I had hopes and dreams of keeping a beautiful flower garden in all the flower beds. There were hostas, black-eyed Susans, some big bushes that I couldn't even name, some purple flowers the previous owner had had in her wedding that I TRIED to kill but still haven't died, lots of different varieties of flowers.
My dream quickly faded as some of the best, sturdiest plants became overtaken by weeds. Man, I tried. I really did. But with 2 small children at that time and life's devious plans to move forward faster despite my need for time to slow down, it became completely impossible to keep up with those weeds. At one point, I actually couldn't tell the weeds for the flowers and was sure I would be fined by the city for not trimming them. I actually had that conversation with Wade. We decided it was time to do something about it and spent an entire month, it seemed buckled into that front flower garden getting rid of the weeds. It took every effort we had, only to find more weeds the following week. I thought we were doomed!!
But I saw a light at the end of the tunnel and was okay with the disaster that was my front yard, so long as my dear neighbor, Nick, did not improve his. Despite the fact that my friends and family joked about turning me into the HGTV show, Desperate Landscapes, I still knew that it could have been worse. I mean, I watched that show all the time. There were some pretty desperate lawns on that show. Yes, I was in some serious denial at that time.

Then one day, the horrible happened, not only had Nick done a little work in his yard, it looked better than mine!!!! And THEN, something that was spectacular but detrimental happened. Angela. My sweet and precious friend that I truly love and loathe at the same time. She has a green thumb. The greenest of all. She had hopes and desires, not different than my own when I had moved into our house. She was going to turn Nick's flower beds into something beautiful. Let me back up. Angela, Nick's girlfriend, had come to visit from India (and I can't wait until she lives her permanently because I miss her more than I would miss my left arm!). Angela was putting a great female twist on Nick's life, but we won't go into the smile that she put on his face and all that lovey-dovey stuff. It's about the flowers. The plants. That is why I say loathe. I don't have ill will for her whatsoever; I just cannot believe the awesome work she put in.
I would see her each day, out in the garden, weeding and planting new seeds and making a work of art. I even saw Nick out there doing work like the new paver patio and knew I was in trouble. So, I buckled down and began to work as hard as I could on my front flower bed. Rearranged things, bought some new bulbs, tried to take out those stupid blue plants again (they have already started coming up this year, so I'm doomed to keep the ones I do not like), put in a new bush at the end as I had taken out the big ones that were up there before and put in new weed cloth and mulch to finish out the bed. Then to top it all off and make it even better, I put a new border of stones around the front and a little fence to frame the back. Everyone in the neighborhood would come around and comment if we were out on how great it looked (which only goes to show they were surely talking about it before :-\)
Angela's Daffodils
Why do I mention this today? Well, I weeded my flower bed this morning with Angela on my mind. Thinking how proud she would be of me. I have a jump start on the season and am going to get mulch by the end of the day so that I can cover the hostas and protect them from the cold weather over the next few weeks. As I stood with my glove on pulling out weeds, I glanced over to see Angela's beautiful daffodils. And the start of her new tulips that she planted knowing she would not get to see them this year. I couldn't help but feel sad. I have been thinking of her gift of friendship to us and how she makes us better people. And her gift to Nick, her flowers. Last year as we planted together and decided what flowers should be there, she planned those flowers that she knew would come up when she went back home. And each time they came up, I'm sure they made Nick smile because they made me smile and my children who love her so much. This beautiful woman has come into our lives from halfway around the world to give us love in flowers.They are wonderful reminders that she will be back to tend them before we even realize it. But in the meantime, we will send her pictures and make sure the flowers are tended to because God gives us precious friends to remind us of the kind of people we should be. So today as I look to getting mulch, I will think of Angela's flowers and smile knowing the joy the pictures will bring her until she can come home again.

1 comment:

  1. Kim, Kim!!! you make me feel so special.........thank you! Dunno howI missed your posts.....I used to get reminders of them earlier........today I was just missing you and Fi and thought I would go back and read your old posts.......thank you for putting a smile on my face....

    ReplyDelete