January 11, 2012

Being the Cool Mom

Being the cool Mom isn't very easy, nor is it very practical for most of the time. I find it to be a challenge just to be a nice Mom on some days. Last week, I got the privilege of being promoted to cool Mom and realized I'm not so bad despite my sometimes temper.
Alec had asked his friend J. over to play PS3 when they were walking home from school. Please note- Mom scored her first cool point by allowing Alec to walk rather than telling him no when he came to the car to ask. ;-) They set a time for 4 pm.
Without asking, my sweet child started cleaning up his sister's toys from the day that were scattered throughout the living room. That is how I found out J. was coming. hee hee. Instead of being mean Mom, I took it easy and said, cool, what game are you playing? Score two for Cool Mom!
When J. arrived, he said, "Hi Mrs. Alec's Mom." And rather than laughing out loud at him, I welcomed him in and told him to get comfy. He had brought his own remote and as the boys struggled to figure out how to sync it with the system, I walked over and pulled some magic out of nowhere. I never pretend to even have half a clue how to use these silly video game things. I oftentimes sound like my parents and grandparents with these new-newfangled contraptions. (Sound familiar?) hee hee. But out of nowhere, I figured out to plug the thing in and press a few buttons it will sync. It worked, and I became Cool Mom of the Year. Let's keep it down to Earth and realize that it's only the first week of January. I have plenty of time to ruin that title!

Sometimes, as Mom's we have to be practical, but sometimes why can't we be fun. Did my son invite a friend without asking me first? Yup. Is that against the rules? Yup. But did it hurt anyone? Nope. Or did it make a real impact in how our afternoon went? No., actually, I have to say yes! It did affect how the afternoon went. I didn't plan to have an extra child at my house for the afternoon, but I also didn't plan to have a grouchy 10 year old or fighting 7 year old. Neither of my boys were fighting. Neither of my boys were telling me they were bored and looking for something to keep them occupied. Why? Because I allowed a rule to be broken and I became a Cool Mom.
Let me enjoy that status for a little while before coming back to the real world. Because, as we all know, it is inevitable that I'm going to have to correct, scold and be a disciplinarian. That will strip me for sure of my Cool mom title ;-)

"Children are a Gift from the Lord." Psalm 127:3  Love it, Believe it, Live it!

No comments:

Post a Comment