April 27, 2012

It Won't Kill Them

Ever go somewhere and see a child that you know could honestly use a good spanking? I mean, one of those, go outside and cut down a switch from the tree spanking?
I am speaking outside of the PC lines at this point, but it is my belief that children would treat parents and other adults with a lot more respect if they were first of all taught to and second of all reprimanded when they didn't. I grew up saying yes ma'am and no sir. I knew that if I spoke inappropriately I was gonna get the belt. And I did! But guess what, I'm still here, and I know how to treat my elders.
With that on my mind today, I decided to look at what the Bible said about it and found this...

Proverbs 23:13-14

The Message (MSG)
  13-14 Don't be afraid to correct your young ones;
   a spanking won't kill them.
A good spanking, in fact, might save them
   from something worse than death. 
 
 
Think about a lesson you learned as a child. Did it come with a spanking? I betcha it either did or the threat of one! I read the verses and love that second verse. A good spanking could very well save your child from something worse than death! I see children yelling at their parents, especially boys yelling at their mothers and it really bothers me. These children could (I'm not saying they will!) end up in some serious trouble later in life. I see these violent tendencies, and I wonder what kind of teenagers and men these little hollering kids will be. It makes me sad, but it also makes me angry and frustrated that these parents allow their children to behave and become this way.
That all being said. I look to the Bible as my source for how to be a parent and how to be a parent that is acceptable to Christ. If the Bible says a spanking won't kill, I suppose I should have to keep that in mind should my children ever need that. In the meantime, I will enjoy the time I have with my children and pray for those mothers who continue to struggle with discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment