January 1, 2011

Monthly Themes for 2011

In 2011, I thought I’d challenge myself to have a certain theme for each month. So, for the month of January, I would like to talk about resolutions as that is something so many people are working towards when beginning a new year. If you are a friend of mine or know me decently well, you will think, but Kim, you dislike resolutions. Why would you want to write about them for an entire month! You are right; thanks for paying attention. 
These won't be your normal resolution postings of I will lose weight (won't we all) or will use technology less (yeah, cause we don't live in a world that depends on it) or even will exercise more (really? What kind of crap are you selling yourself there!). Off my rant ;-) 
So let's move into resolution number one for our first day. I resolve to not resolve. Yes, you heard me right. I just announced a resolution theme and am refusing to follow it. I will not resolve to do anything different this year because today has been a day of feeling yucky and I cannot commit to anything at this time. 
Sound familiar? Something you've been meaning to do? Yeah, I didn't think so. I think many of us start the new year with all these grand ideas of being a better person, doing better things or accomplishing something you've been meaning to do. But if you think about it, we are the best procrastinators ever. I don't know the specific stats, but if you ask 10 of your friends their resolutions and then you ask those same 10 friends how many achieved those goals, I believe that at most, 2 of them would say they did. We are sinful, human creatures by definition, and therefore, we mess up. It's nice to have goals and strive to move forward with those, but let's be more realistic about who we are.
We cannot underestimate how easily we sin. So when we make those resolutions, we are setting ourselves up for failure. Even Paul, probably one of the greatest spiritual leaders, was struggling with his sinful nature.
Romans 7:15-20 
15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.  

 So our battle continues as it has for thousands of years. Chocolate is always going to be a thorn in your side if it has always been a thorn in your side. Let's take today and resolve to not resolve and to accept our sinful  nature and acknowledge our failure.
I look forward to continuing this journey with you this month and to give you a chance to think about those resolutions you have selected.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment