September 3, 2011

Alcohol

Someone is going to take this blog post wrong. Someone is going to be offended by my words. Someone is going to feel like I am attacking them by even writing this. Someone is going to like what I write. Someone is going to be encouraged by my words. Every person takes everything different. I cannot control how others interpret what I'm writing, nor can I control how others interpret my actions. I cannot control the fact that I will be judged by others. What I can control is how I react. This blog is about that.
Let's talk about drinking. Some of you will stop reading this right now. I am sorry if you choose to do that, because I do have some valid points that I believe will shed light on my family and our thoughts regarding the subject. The Bible says so many things about so many different subjects. Drinking alcoholic beverages is one of them. There is a debate about the question.
Is it wrong to drink wine? Beer? What does the Bible say? Let's take a look......
The scripture in Proverbs 20 says warns that wine and strong drink can be bad to a man (woman to). It can cause raging and brawling and doing things in a drunken stupor that are unwise and regrettable. So what should our position as Christians be since we know that drunkenness can cause sorrows and troubles? We know that alcoholism is responsible for many broken homes for various reasons. Many deaths on our highways are caused by drinking and driving. Alcoholism has become a very costly drug addiction problem. So I say the answer is yes and no. Drunkenness is a very evil sin that hurts everyone, including our entire nation. The Bible does say that all drunkards who do not repent will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I believe the answer to this question is that the wine (or beer) itself is not sinful, because sin is in the heart of man and does not exist in any object of itself. It is the drunkenness and intoxication that comes about when a man drinks too much that causes him sin. The Bible teaches discipline and moderation; even eating too much food is a sin and is called the sin of gluttony in the Bible.


So, let's get to the point of my post. I absolutely adore my husband, and I absolutely adore all of my friends. That's why you are my friends. The one thing that frustrates me is those who have chosen to judge when it is not their place. (that is another blog post in itself). I write this post tonight because unkind words were said that were pointed straight at my family and our beliefs. It does not bother me that those words were said. We all have a right to our opinion. My husband and I took the opportunity to speak to our children about sin and what the Bible teaches us about moderation. Is it okay to drink alcoholic beverages? Jesus did, and I believe it is okay. It's in the scripture. Did he get drunk and stupid? Not that I have seen. Moderation. Drinking is not a sin. It is an action that in excess can cause sin because it is already in the heart of the one drinking.
Am I in any way encouraging someone to drink?? NO! My actions, the actions of my family and my words are not in any way an encouragement to my brothers in Christ to do something they know is wrong for them. What I am saying is that the action itself of drinking is not the sin. If I choose to have a glass of wine with my dinner or after dinner, that is my choice... one that Christ gave me the liberty to decide. Please do not judge me. It is not your place.


Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for the liberty we have in Christ. Help us not to judge one another in regard to the issue of drinking a little wine, but rather to be honest before You as to the issue in our own hearts in this regard. May we be a good witness before those in the world. When we make our choices in this life, may they be pleasing to You and show love to those around us.  You told us the highest law is the law of love.  We are first to love You, and then, to love one another.  May we do this in word and deed.  Keep us from temptation and sin and let our actions prove to the world that we are true Christians. Deliver those who are addicted to alcohol and who are in this snare of the devil. I ask this in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment